Thursday, August 1, 2013

How to open multiple eclipse instances on Mac

Multiple instances of eclipse in mac can not be opened by default. While windows users have the privilege to run several eclipses at the same time. I was wondering if there is a way to the same in Mac.

Though there are other solutions like editing the eclipse.app etc, the best solution is to use "OSX Eclipse Launcher utility plugin".

Follow these simple instructions
  1. Go to help --> Eclipse Marketplace...
  2. Search for "OS X Eclipse laucher utility"
  3. Cick Install, Next, Finish and restart your eclipse.
Once the plugin is installed, click on File --> Open Workspace.  Here you go, a new instance of eclipse is opened with a new workspace.


6 comments:

  1. This is exactly what I was looking for some time ago. My initial search was unfruitful, so I went with a more grassroots approach. I have a folder ~/scripts on my PATH. I created eclipse.sh which uses the open command to accomplish similar:

    #!/bin/bash
    open -n /Users/rizzle/software/eclipse/indigo/eclipse/Eclipse.app

    Just execute eclipse.sh in any terminal to get a new instance of Eclipse. This plugin is definitely more seamless though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These approaches are for beginners/mid level unix users like me Ryan. Advanced unix users like you would always have other alternate options. :-)
      Thanks for sharing the script.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tip.

    I have ADT (Android Developer Tools) Bundle for Mac installed, and I don't see Eclipse Marketplace under the Help menu. In this case, you can select Install New Software instead, and enter http://update.resheim.no/eclipse-utilities in the "Work with:" field.

    ReplyDelete